When someone asks you, "A penny for your thoughts" and you put your two cents in . . what happens to the other penny?



Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Lesson on Femininity

Memorial Day is normally not an uplifting holiday for me. It makes me sad to think of the people I've know that have died. Makes me VERY sad.
But I realized that I have to snap out of a depress-mode like that. You can't just pop a Zoloft everytime you think about a person, ya know?
So I decided that every time I get sad about losing a loved-one, I have got to stop and think of the great memories these people have left me with.
I'm speaking most specifically of my Grandma Henrichsen, Miss Alice LaDeane.
Last night I went out to my parents house to raid their fridge for the free dang-good left-over food from Memorial Day's Festivities. After dinner, my mom wanted to go to Penny's to look at their "70% off" sale for custom blinds (she's redoing her kitchen... again). So we packed our purses with money and a Spanish/English dictionary (kidding) and headed off to Valley Fair Mall. Once there, we asked a sales lady about the blinds. She said she'd have to get their "expert" to answer our questions. When the Expert came out and sat at the computer, I noticed that her name tag, very surprisingly, sported the name "La Dean".
My grandma is the only other person in the world I know whose name was La Dean. So I told that to this sales lady. Of course saying my grandma's name no longer brings sadness, but automatically brings the fondness of hilarious memories.
So I noted:
Although my grandma's first name was Alice, she went by La Dean. But she didn't just go by La Dean. Although that's how it's spelled on her birth certificate and any other official document, unofficially she added an "e" at the end of her name, for "La Deane", because, she claimed, it made it more feminine.

No comments:

Post a Comment