When someone asks you, "A penny for your thoughts" and you put your two cents in . . what happens to the other penny?



Thursday, May 29, 2008

LESSONS LEARNED FROM GRANDMA


Upon publishing my post yesterday, it sparked a memory that my sister, Nancy, had written one of the best memoirs of my grandma. She wrote it in one sitting like it was nothing, but it makes me cry everytime I read it. I asked her if it'd be ok if I could post it here. I modified some statements to past-tense, as she is no longer with us.



  • Lessons Learned from Grandma

  • by Nancy Breinholt

    If you don’t like something, change it. If your name is Alice LaDean, go by LaDean, but add an e on the end, to make it more feminine. LaDeane.

    I learned the sanctity and power of prayer from my Grandma. Every time she was asked to say grace, she would say it in a very soft voice, and cry about 80% of the time. It isn’t something to be mumbled and raced through.

    When you are threading a worm on the hook, use a towel to hold the worm still, that way it won’t wiggle free. And, always have a pair of pliers on the boat, so you can knock a Chub on the head with them.

    There are amazing things to be read in books. Always have books by your chairs, by your bed, and in the bathroom. Don’t let a day go by without cracking open a book.

    I learned to love the outdoors. My grandma was an outdoorsman, when women were not outdoorsman. She had her own hunting rifle and her own fishing pole, and didn’t need a man to fix either of them.

    She taught me about magical things, like galindies, and vitamin E.

    Don’t fight with your brother about mowing the lawn, someone will lose a finger. However, if you do happen to lose a finger, don’t forget to ask your manicurist for 10% off when she does your nails.

    When the grandchildren are over, a great treat is jello powder.

    I learned from Grandma that if the fish weren’t biting, I wasn’t holding my mouth right. If I still couldn’t hold my mouth right, she would put some “magic” on the line. And be damned if it didn’t work.

    You put meat tenderizer on mosquito bites, aspirin on bee stings, a paper towel in your bag of lettuce, dishwashing liquid on your vegetables, vitamin C for colds, and vitamin E for scars.

    She taught me how to play cards, and almost more importantly, to take no prisoners when we are playing card games! If someone offers to deal you in, take it, and then take them to the cleaners.

    You have to be on the lake before sunrise if you want to catch any fish.

    My Grandma has inspired in me a love of my home state. She had been everywhere in Utah, and had seen more things than most. I always asked her about places in Utah, and she had always been there, but about 50 years ago, before it was “cool” to go to these places, and also before it had become “illegal” to go to them now.

    If you save up enough plastic grocery bags, you can make a purse out of them.

    I also learned that if I am going to get a trophy to place my “Hole in One” balls, I need to make sure there are more than 3 places to put all my balls.

    You put a Canadian nickel on the back of your putter to put down to mark your place on the green.

    Most of all, I learned what it meant to be a true companion to your spouse. Not a hand-maiden, not a servant, not a doormat. Every adventure grandpa had, grandma was there every step of the way. But when something was important to her, but grandpa refused to go, she was not afraid to go alone. She cared for grandpa greatly and without complaint, but could be a firecracker when it was necessary. Love filled every action grandma took, and when Truman asks what she was like, these are a few things I hope to pass on.

No comments:

Post a Comment